Sunday, June 24, 2007

Garmajoba Megobaris da Ojakhi!

Well I finally made it to Georgia safe and sound. Upon arrival at 3 am the volunteers were shuttled from the Tbilisi airport to a part of "old town" in Tbilisi to take a misvidobis korpusi (peace corps) group photo. We then went to an old soviet mountain retreat for 6 days of orientation.

I am currently in my training site, a village outside of Gori. Gori is famous around these parts for being the birthplace of Stalin and his face is everywhere. I will be in my villlage for around 2 months. You will be glad to know that I have perfected the squat and spend far less time in the bathroom these days. My host family is wonderful and I have a host sister who is going to Texas in August as part of a high school exchange program so she is very excited to practice her near perfect english with me. I dont know how she feels about me practicing my disasterous Georgian. WEll that is all for now, i am at an internet cafe in Gori and my time is running out. I have tried to post pictures, hopefully it will work. I miss you all but am having an awesome time here. No supras yet.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jess, Perfecting your squat is a skill that will last a lifetime. Maybe even longer than your Georgian. I would love to see a picture of Stalin - seriously!

We all miss you in the hood and glad it's going well.

MP

Anonymous said...

Hi Jess:

This is your Uncle Bob. I am very excited to hear about your travels - soak it up! How long is your stay? What will you be working on?

Jess said...

For all who are wondering I will be in Georgia for the next 27 months (3 months of training and then 2 years of service.) I will be a TEFL volunteer, teaching english in a secondary school (grades 5-12), in a rural village. During that time I will be working on secondary projects for my school and community (think securing grant money, starting a school club, etc.)

Dawn said...

Glad to hear things are going well :) I just got a $2,000 end of year bonus guess i can save it for a trip to Georgia! i really hope to come visit in a year or so once you are settled in. And i too have perfected the squat so no crash course necessary.

Anonymous said...

beep bop boop, lancaster is just not the same without you. Hope all is going well!!!

Anonymous said...

oh sorry, it's Alexis, apparently, I am anonymous.

Unknown said...

Hi Jess:

This is your Uncle Bob again. Can you send some pictures of your adventure?

Unknown said...

Hi Jess:

Can you send some pictures of your adventure?